- Slovenian composer Dragotin Cvetko died.
- Georgia-based rock band Magnapop recorded a session.
- The USS Francis Scott Key was decommissioned.
- The first directly elected president of the Republic of Singapore, Ong Teng Cheong, assumed office.
- One of Juliette Binoche's children was born.
- The mystery novel The Crocodile Bird by Ruth Rendell was published.
- Eritrea joined UNESCO.
- Also, Captain Midnight and I got hitched. (Yay!)
It's been 16 years, and he still makes little hearts pop above my head whenever he smiles at me.