Monday, September 21, 2009

Short stories


OK, peoples, once again I'm jonesing for your feedback. I am perusing numerous public-domain short stories for the purpose of recording them for LibriVox. I've already recorded one (a painfully lo-fi version of Saki's "Sredni Vashtar") and have a few others in mind (Hawthorne's "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment," Willa Cather's "Paul's Case: A Study in Temperament," and O. Henry's "Springtime a la Carte"), but I'd like your thoughts about any particularly memorable short stories.

Two caveats before we begin:
  1. Since all LibriVox recordings are in the public domain, most texts are fair game for recording only if their original publication date was prior to 1923. (Nothing more recent than that is allowable, or I'd be on Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" so fast it'd make your head spin.)
  2. Although I love numerous British short stories, I have a distinctly American accent and thus should probably focus on stories by American authors.
It doesn't matter if the story has already been recorded for LibriVox; they're OK with multiple recordings of the same text. So how about it? Any recommendations of crackin' good stories for me?

No comments: