Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mystery meat

Remember when Jenny and I went to Interesting Stuff?

Here's one of the less-appetizing entries among the Ukrainian recipe cards:

Behold, Krovyanka!

What's in this delightful sausage, you may ask?

I'll tell you.
I'm usually game to try any sort of comestible once, but when it includes "the blood of domestic animals" as a major component, it is Right Out.

Yeah, I know, I don't have much room for finger-pointing -- after all, my ancestors came up with such questionable gustatory delights as svartsoppa, surströmming and lutefisk -- but the idea of consuming blood of any kind turns my stomach. Gleah.

3 comments:

LDahl said...

You and me both sugar!!!
It's just not kosher! :)))

Gretel said...

Oh yum! That is like our black/blood pudding, it's delicous - in fact, Andy comes from the home of the black pudding, Bury, where they make the best ones - I always get his parents to bring us down a couple when they visit. We have it as a weekend treat in fried breakfasts, with bacon, egss etc, before a long walk or cricket match.

Soozcat said...

Gretel, I will have to take your word for it. My grandpa used to make black pudding on occasion, but I could never bring myself to eat it.