Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Beating Julie to the Jetty

If you are a big smarty, an art major, or just have access to Wikipedia, you may be aware of artist Robert Smithson's most famous earthworks project, Spiral Jetty. It is located in the Great Salt Lake of Utah.

This is what it looks like from above. (Thanks, Bing Maps!)

Well, several years ago my sister Julie had a dream wherein she went to Spiral Jetty and then wrote a children's book about the experience, which she titled Julie and the Jetty. Since then she has made several attempts to visit Spiral Jetty, but (as far as I know) has not yet succeeded. ETA: Yeah, yeah, she made it. But she still hasn't written the book.

Today I came up with a brilliant and evil plan. Captain Midnight and I are going to visit the Jetty while we're in Utah over Christmas vacation. We are going to drive out to distant Rozel Point, find the Jetty, walk to its center, and do a celebratory interpretive dance. We are going to bring a camera along, the better to document our triumphant leaping and prancing about on the jetty. Then perhaps we shall co-write a book called Jumping on the Jetty, just to be wholly obnoxious. Because that's how we roll.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I would like to publicly state that Whitney, Jenny and I all went out together and found it! The water is pink! It is amazing. Email or call golden spike monument before you go, because the jetty is often under water. Then you should write Julie and the Jetty, because sadly I doubt I will get around to it.

Soozcat said...

Captain Midnight says, "Pix or it didn't happen!"

OK, OK, I'm willing to believe your story. But I still want to do a celebratory boogie on the Jetty.

Soozcat said...

By the way, if you haven't already guessed, this didn't happen. :(

I guess we'll have to try again the next time we're in Utah.