Wednesday, January 05, 2011

What will you do that's new?

I referenced this in an earlier post, but I think it needs a place of its own.

With the new year comes a score of possibilities... and I thought I'd do worse than to ask the question: what will you do this year that you've never done before? (Yes, "turn X+1" is an optional answer if you're currently X, but let's get a bit more creative, shall we?)

When you're a child, life is chockablock with new experiences. More often than not they're daily occurrences. But as you grow and mature and begin to feel out your place in the world, the days tend to fall into a kind of sameness. That can be comforting in many ways, but with the advent of routine, those special, novel experiences become more rare.

It occurs to me that it doesn't have to be this way. The world is replete with all sorts of possible adventures and new experiences -- and not just the big ones, like finishing a university degree or losing 100 pounds or taking a trip to Tibet. Some aren't all that far from home. For instance, I just started haphazardly poking into the world of geocaching over the Christmas holidays, and discovered that little treasure boxes are hidden in the most unlikely places all over my neighborhood -- literally. That's a relatively small thing, but it's new to me. And a few weeks ago I discovered there's a glassblowing school not too far away from me that teaches classes to even the most basic beginners. You have no idea how excited this possibility makes me, as the whole process of glassblowing seems like alchemy and I'd love to learn, but had no idea where I might start. It may take a little more doing, but life can be as full of new experiences now as it once was in childhood.

Have you ever made your own jewelry? visited San Francisco? gotten published? taken a dance class? gone bungee-jumping? run a marathon? sung a solo in public? cooked with an unfamiliar ingredient? learned a new language? There are literally millions of other options I could name, but I won't exhaust your patience. Well, what's keeping you from trying one or more of the things on your list? There are probably options available to you if you cast your eyes around a bit.

So, what will you do this year that you've never done before?

7 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

I'm learning to play the organ.

Soozcat said...

That... is a biggie. My hat is off to you.

Marie mentioned she is putting her first son into college this year, and Gretel is moving to Herefordshire -- also biggies.

Scarehaircare said...

Learning to play the organ was not by choice, more like thrust upon me. I've been called to be Assistant Ward Organist in church.

Soozcat said...

While it may not have been your choice, I know plenty of people who would have chosen not to take it on, calling or no calling. I'm proud of you for choosing to accept, even if it wouldn't have been your independent choice.

Casey said...

I started geo-caching with a friend in 2009. so fun,the treasure hunt!

Soozcat said...

I've been enjoying it so far!

Rachel said...

Have you still been geocaching? Any treasures? Curtis and I lived in Nyssa, OR for the first four months of our marriage while he was job hunting. We stayed in his Grandpa's home and got it all cleaned up and ready to sell. So, while there, I learned that Nyssa is the "Thunderegg Capitol of the World" and even got to go to the lil' Thunderegg Days Festival. For awhile I really wanted to get into geocaching but after some research I realized I'd have to travel to remove areas in OR (or other states) and I'm not much of a traveler. Oh well.

Also, did you ever take a glass blowing class? I have wanted to do that for YEARS! I've also wanted to learn how to make glass beads, but as my personal type of creativity is more in putting things together than actually making things from scratch, I haven't quite gotten up the guts to put the money/time into something I may not be able to do or enjoy.

This year I'm working on my goal to complete my first rough draft of a non-fic book about dating that a friend and I've been writing. I figure I'm half way there. :)