Monday, October 31, 2016

A birthday gift request

My birthday is only a few days away, and I'd like to make a request.

I don't need a lot of things at this point in life. (There are still plenty of wants, but I've slowly shifted from a desire for things to a desire for life experiences such as seeing the world, meeting interesting people, etc. If I can carry something around in my head, I'll never lose it.)

But there is something I'd like to ask of you, if you're an American citizen and you're so inclined:

Vote your conscience.

2016 has provided us with a horrible, messy, vicious circus sideshow of an election. In my opinion, neither major political party has produced a candidate worth voting for -- or, frankly, worth giving the time of day. And I suspect this type of election will become more frequent unless the body of Americans stand up to stop it.

Vote your conscience.

Don't settle for the lesser of two evils. Don't pick the person you think is most likely to win. Don't sit this election out because your vote "doesn't matter anyway." These are precisely the attitudes that prevailed during the primary elections and yielded this year's despicable candidates. Instead, choose another candidate -- even one from a small political party -- who is honorable and whose politics reflect your own. If he or she isn't on the ballot in your state, write in that candidate in the space provided.

Vote your conscience.

I know why people are afraid to do this. I've voted in every general election since 1988. From that time to this, I can recall many election cycles where, cowed by the bogeymen invoked by the two major political parties (the most common one being "SUPREEEEME COOOOURT JUSTICESSSSS! OOooOoOO!"), I held my nose and voted for the candidate I found least offensive. Well, I'm officially done with that. Holding one's nose to vote doesn't do much good if it allows skunks to be elected.

Vote your conscience.

That's seriously all I want for my birthday this year.

Thank you!

Vote your conscience.

No comments: