Thursday, February 23, 2017

Snow, Zoobies, and technological impairment

It's snowed on and off most of the day.

This shouldn't be much of a surprise. If I choose to visit Utah in February, I'm bound to see at least some snow. It is kind of what Utah's known for these days. But the first few days I was here, the only snow was on the mountaintops; everything else had melted in a glorious mid-February thaw, with shirt-sleeve temperatures during the day. And I, like a doofus, got used to it. At least I remembered to bring my overcoat.

Anyway, my rental car doesn't have 4-wheel drive, which has made things Interesting. My mother's house is on a hillside, and getting that car all the way into our cul-de-sac after a good snow dump is an exercise in futility. Fortunately, I did learn to drive in this state, so I remember the basics: how to drive in snow, how to handle a skid, how to put extra space between me and another car in icy road conditions, etc.

What is truly driving me bonkers, however, is the daily Zoobie obstacle course between the rehab center and Mom's home. Zoobies (aka BYU students) are notorious for their jaywalking ways at any time of the year, but when it's dark and icy and they randomly step out in front of cars in black clothing, not giving anyone enough time to slow down... gaaaah! RAAAHR. I tell you, if I end up mashing them into jam with my rental car, it'll be a fate too good for them.

In other news, I hear through the grapevine that Julie is already part of the way into Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. So, Project Get Sooz a Cheapie Cell Phone proceeds apace. Not sure if I should pick up a new feature phone, or just try to reset my niece's old flip phone to factory specs and go with that. (How easy is that to do? Or is that even possible? Could I be more clueless? ngh.)

No comments: