Saturday, May 14, 2022

Yet another addition to the van Gogh list

It's been a while since I added someone to the van Gogh list, but I feel like this one's important.

Paul McCartney, 1963
Sir Paul McCartney
(publicity photo taken 1963, photographer unknown)

Yes, I know it's an old photo. But this man has steadily been writing and performing great music since the early '60s. He's nearly 80 at the time of this writing and is still going strong -- in fact, he's on tour right now. His work with the Beatles, his collaborations with other singers, and his solo projects are excellent, lyrical, sometimes heartbreaking in their beauty, and to my way of thinking he wrote and performed some of the best songs of the 20th century. I'll probably never get to see him in concert, but I feel very fortunate that our lives on this planet happened to overlap in time.

(Oh, and if you do happen to catch him in concert? Let me know how it went! I will try to keep my envy down to a dull roar.)

No comments: