Saturday, December 24, 2022

A pre-Christmas trip to Poulsbo

"I'm thinking of going to Poulsbo for some last-minute Christmas goodies," I announced to nobody in particular. "Anybody want to come with me?"

As there was no response, off to Poulsbo I went by myself.

It was one of those dark grey winter afternoons with which natives of the Pacific Northwest are so familiar. But I didn't care, because I was going to Mini-Norway!

Quaint and delightful downtown Poulsbo, WA

For those of you who are unaware, Poulsbo is basically a slice of Scandinavia on the Kitsap Peninsula. And unlike some other towns in Washington (looking at you, Leavenworth), it was actually founded by real Scandinavians.

The view from Poulsbo's Front Street

While there are non-Scandinavian-themed businesses in Poulsbo's original downtown (yay ramen!), it is overwhelmingly Nordic in feel. And while any time of the year is a good time to visit, I'm especially pleased to be in Poulsbo around Christmas, because it brings back memories from the Swedish-flavored holidays of my childhood.

The downtown clock tower, with some Christmas lights above the street

Many of the buildings downtown have a decidedly old-world vibe.

A shop window showing some Scandinavian goods

And while most shops lean Norwegian, there are definite signs of Finnish and Swedish representation as well (yay dala horse!).

Sluys' Bakery, one of the most popular shops in town

Shown: Sluys' Bakery, a family bakery that's one of the most popular stops in Poulsbo. (Not shown: the line for Christmas baked goods that stretches down the block.)

One of the things I enjoy about Poulsbo at Christmas is that many businesses make an effort to create special Christmas windows -- even a few animated ones, though I'll admit this one is just a leeeetle bit on the creepy side.

Lots of little stuffed gnomey nutcrackers in a shop window

This shop window was chock fulla tomtar (Scandinavian gnomes), but also had some little gnomey nutcracker characters. Super cute!

Marina Market. It's the best.

This is the awesome Marina Market. Do not let the unassuming mini-mart exterior fool you. This place may only be the size of a 7-Eleven, but it has everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Pickled herring, salt licorice, lebkuchen, canned shellfish, fresh sausages, worldwide chocolates, cheeses from all over creation -- chances are if you're looking for something specific for your Julbord, they will have it in stock. I don't know how they do it because the place seems teeny from the outside; maybe it's secretly a TARDIS. Everyone will steer you toward Sluys' Bakery, but if you ask me Marina Market is the real gem of downtown Poulsbo.

Fortunately I got in here early, because they closed at 3 p.m. today to celebrate Christmas Eve with their own families. AS WELL THEY SHOULD.

Even more downtown Poulsbo looking festive

There's something about this place that puts me into a holiday mood. I'm glad I came here today.

The Liberty Bay harbor with many boats

It may be grey and lowering today, but the sight of the harbor and all the boats moored in Liberty Bay makes my little Swedish-American heart happy.

A fishy public statue

Thanks, Poulsbo! It was fun! Let's do it again soon.

No comments: