Saturday, November 20, 2010

Steamcon II: Weird Weird West, plus Movie Night

(Follow the links for Steamcon III, Steamcon IV and Steamcon V coverage.)

Today I was invited by the always charming and delightful Tara to accompany her to Steamcon II in Seatac, Washington. Steampunk being one of my favorite flavors of fandom, and this being my first opportunity to attend a con, how could I refuse?

This year's Steamcon focused on the intersection of Victorian aesthetic sensibilities, gee-whiz technology and frontier history. It contained a sizable quantity of awesome.

There were plenty of things to see and do:

Artistic wonders to boggle at!

Shiny jewelry to covet! (And also to buy; this time I picked up an unsettling ocular brooch by the genteel and gracious Artful Bodger, Anthony Hicks himself.)

Delectable steampunk cabaret!

And, as always, the wonderful clothing and costumes of the participants were worth the price of admission all by themselves.

Everywhere I cared to point my camera, there was something visually interesting going on.

Aeronauts and bounty hunters!

Cephalopod fanciers!

Mad scientists!

Fancy-pantsy gunslingers!

A young lady and her mechanized dragon!

Dapper steamgents!

Little Red and her Great Big Boomstick!

And the elusive artist taking gobs of reference photos!

All this and MUCH MORE, dear readers. And I was woefully underdressed for the occasion.

Conversation ranged in all directions as well, from airship technology to time-traveling cabaret to steampunk Mormonism to various steam-tinged takes on Victorian literature. Good stuff.

Then, upon my return home, Captain Midnight and Miss V and I went off to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. It was, as expected, a rather somber film when people weren't being destroyed. Even divided into two parts, it skipped over huge swaths of information. And as I expected, it ended on a cliffhanger. (One woman a few rows behind me, at the moment the credits ran, cried out, "THAT'S NOT FAIR!" Hee!)

3 comments:

MarieC said...

We saw HP7 last night, too. While it was infinitely more satisfying than HP6 (my least favorite film of the series), by the time Rob and I got home from the theater, we were making a list of all the things that were left out. And, it makes me very sad to see Harry and Ron with facial (and body--eesh) hair), it is like my own children have grown up and I'm not ready for them to leave the nest. Still, I can't wait until July!

natural attrill said...

Hello,
I like some of the jewellery pieces in that picture frame.
Just had a look at the eye ;oO !!
Penny.
x

Soozcat said...

Penny: me too. And that eye is rather unsettling, isn't it? Heh heh heh.

Marie: I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for screenwriter Steve Kloves to keep everything straight, and determine what could stay and what could go--especially near the beginning when Rowling hadn't finished writing the series and nobody but she knew how it would end.