Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My favorite heart patient

My cousin David is at the IHC Hospital in Salt Lake City tonight, after a very long surgery to replace his mitral valve.

David's health has been delicate from childhood on. He had problems with his heart for a long time, and was not aware of it; he just assumed that getting easily winded was part of his constitution. He's had multiple surgeries in the recent past -- so many, in fact, that at one point I suggested having the doctors just install a zipper in his chest, to make things easier. David likes a little drama, and his new favorite method of getting the upper hand in a conversation is the phrase "I'm a heart patient!"

Well, he's a heart patient again, and this isn't a little drama. David had a metal mitral valve replacement, and a few days ago they discovered a blood clot on the valve. It needed to be removed, and soon. Although his doctor gave David a 95% chance of recovery, things haven't gone as smoothly as the medical team predicted. He's out of surgery, but David's oxygen levels are far below what they should be, and they're keeping him sedated for the next few days while they try to figure out what needs to be done.

I love David. He's irreverent, naughty, funny, tenderhearted and loving. I want him to make it through this OK, so we can sit around making inappropriate jokes at the family smörgåsbord this Christmas. But the longer this goes on, the less capable I am of making jokes. (Before he went into surgery I left him a message about the pig valve he was going to receive, and how Miss Piggy had donated it so that David could always have the Muppets in his heart.) It's taking a lot longer than expected, and the more time goes by, the more a sense of dread begins to take root. He has good doctors and I trust their expertise, but nonetheless I worry. And I pray. And then I worry some more.

If you feel so inclined, would you please pray for David? I'd really appreciate it, and I'm sure he would too. Thanks.

ETA: David is doing a LOT better. He's still in the hospital but is scheduled to go home on Sunday. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers for him.

4 comments:

Paula Bowles said...

Here's wishing David a full and speedy recovery, thinking of you x

Soozcat said...

Thanks, Paula. His oxygen levels were better today, and that's a good sign, so I'm a lot more hopeful than I was yesterday.

KKresge said...

I am an old friend and just found this about David. Please give him my best, please tell him he is truly a Silly Pig Dog! He will know me as Kim Sheen.

Soozcat said...

Thanks so much, Kim. I'll pass it on.