Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Daruma!

So for a long time now, I've wanted to get a Daruma doll for good luck.

And here he is! I picked him up in Uwajimaya yesterday while I was out and about with my sister Jenny.

In Japan, the tradition is that you get a Daruma doll with empty eyes, and when you have a goal in mind, you color in one eye (as seen here). Then Daruma hangs around your place, encouraging you to keep your eye on the goal and achieve what you desire. When you've accomplished your goal, you color in the other eye (and, if you wish, write what you accomplished on the back of the Daruma).

Daruma is a symbol of strength in adversity, because like the old Weeble toys from the '70s, he is weighted to right himself when he's knocked over. Daruma dolls also embody an old Japanese proverb, "Nana korobi ya oki," meaning "Fall down seven times, get up eight." (Or as the Sherman Brothers might have put it, "Up from the ashes grow the roses of success.")

So, what's my goal? I'll tell you when I color in the other eye. :)

No comments: