Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goodbye, sketchbook

Well, my Sketchbook Project sketchbook is on its way. (You can look me up on their website under the name "laundryfaerie;" I've uploaded a few scanned pages.) It isn't perfect, but then nothing human-made ever is. I know -- "perfect" is the enemy of "finished." I only wish I could have done the central page justice:

From almost the beginning I knew what this page ought to look like. I wanted this quote expressed in flowing calligraphy, with "opposition" rendered into mirrored halves; it's meant to tie together the two halves of the story. I could see in my mind's eye how it was meant to look, but I didn't have the skill to render it on paper.

I wished very hard for my dad's skill. He would have been able to do it right. Then I went ahead and did it anyway.

3 comments:

Gretel said...

But you finished it! Which is an achievement in itself - and I am sure your dad would have been proud and told you that the more you do, the more you can do.

BTW, next time I'm at the Ashmolean, I'll see if they have a postcard of the Chinese mouse for you.

Scarehaircare said...

Wish I could have leafed thru the entire thing before you sent it off. You are your own worst critic. I've seen enough of your work to know that I would have been in awe and wishing I could possess the same talents.

I'm willing to bet that your dad has leafed thru it (or was present for the entire making of) and is immensely proud of you right now.

Soozcat said...

Gretel: that would be fabulous.

Carrie: I did make scans of the stupid thing before I sent it away, figuring it would take a beating at the hands of many readers.