Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Resolv'd!

So, just for the sake of public scrutiny/accountability/all that sorta thing, here are my resolutions for 2019:

Read at least 12 books this year.
Work out with weights at least once a week.
Visit a museum (regardless of where I am on earth) once a month.
DO THE HARD THINGS.

Most of these are, I think, self-explanatory, and few of them (with the exception of working out) are much of a stretch for me. But the point isn't to stretch super hard -- it's to achieve the doable. Then what was super hard this year might be within achieving distance next year.

The only resolution that really scares me is the one about working out with weights. My ARNP and I had a chat last month where she gave me the "dude, do you even lift" spiel and encouraged me to start lifting weights, recommending the routine in a specific book (which I received for Christmas -- thanks, fam!) But the last time I spent any serious time inside a weight room, I was on the high school swim team. To say that I don't know what I'm doing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Then, too, I'm not keen on being the fat lady at the gym. Yes, I know I've lost some weight, but I'm still well into the obese range, and gyms with real weightlifting equipment are not generally known for their friendliness toward pudgy people. I keep telling myself that the people who make huge positive changes in their lives are the ones who successfully ignore the haters, but I've also got a fair amount of verbal bullying in my past and I'm not keen to endure regular snickering again.

Right. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: